Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The War on PBS

The War is a documentary of World War II by Ken Burns on PBS that I have been trying to watch. I know there have been at least 6 episodes so far and I've seen 3 or 4 of them. I think that they are done very, very well. Some of the photos and "video" they show are chilling and moving. It's like a history book come to life in a way none of my history books ever did. I'm not sure what night new episodes air, but I think you can see reruns of previous episodes other days.
I know Adam was looking forward to watching this documentary. I wonder if he has been? I would recomend it to anyone who likes history or would like to learn more about the war than what a high school text book would teach them.
On a separate note, there was also a documentary on baseball on PBS, but I don't know if it is still running, or if it was done by Ken Burns. Each episode covers a 10 year period, and I saw the 1890's, 1900's and 1910's. I thought they were great. I enjoy baseball history, and it was neat learning about all of these baseball pioneers that modern players are always put up against.
I thought of buying the box set of both of these documentaries, but they seem too pricy for me. For The War, they were offering different packages but they were all over $100 (like $180, $250 and $350). I didn't see or hear how much the Baseball box set was, but I assume it was similar.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Yeah, Ken Burns did the Baseball documentary as well as one on the Civil War.

I've only missed about a half hour of The War and I've been really into it.

They started last Sunday, ran four new episodes from Sunday through Wednesday. Two days ago Sunday, they started a marathon of those four episodes at like noon that ran into the 5th episode at 8 on Sunday night. I think there are 8 parts so they should wrap up on Wednesday (tomorrow). But I'm sure they'll be playing them over and over again. I mean, they play them twice in a row each night from 8 to midnight, so it's hard to miss them.

flowgun said...

I've been watching them too! Not religously or anything, but if I come across it, I definitely stop to watch.

Precious.