Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Travel Plans

A lot of my friends have been traveling lately. One to the East Coast for part of the summer. One to Florida with his girlfriend for a week or so. One to parts of Europe for most of the summer. And some just went to Las Vegas for a fun weekend with friends. And I've stayed put for all of it. I like to travel. I'd like to go to many of these places. So why don't I (I ask myself)? The easy answer is money. Either I don't have enough to go on some of these trips. Or if I went on some of these trips it would mean missing work - and thus missing money. But there has to be more to it than just money because for years (10, 12, 15 or so) there has always been some reason why I couldn't/didn't go on trips. But to find an answer(s) means that I would have to go looking for an answer(s). And I don't want to do that. Why? Because I'm not a big fan of looking into my past, or into my mind/heart/soul. Maybe I just don't know how. It is much easier to push things away or gloss over them and move on to something different. I've thought of going to therapy before; to see if someone could help me help myself. But I've thought of doing MANY, MANY things. And they usually don't get past that stage. How do I take the next step? What is the next step? I'll have to work on that and then re-evaluate this topic. But I'm the type of guy who is open to suggestions or help. So feel free. Just remember that my ego is fragile, so be thoughtful about what you suggest.

2 comments:

edluv said...

is it because your last two trips with "friends" went so swimmingly?

and you know what i mean.

but, i'd definitely say that a good part has to do with the $. when you weren't working as much, it's not like you're rolling fat cat. not to insult you, but i understand what it's like. i mean, from my past before i become the monopoly guy.

now, as you're working more, and moving into the black (not neighborhood, but being flush w/cash) i'm sure you'll be more likely to travel about with us. maybe you won't be flying around the world every other week, but i'm sure you'll take a few days off to hit the east coast for a week, or a friday and monday to hit vegas.

because really, even if it's more than money, it sucks when you travel and don't have it. i pigeonholed enough money over the last year or so, so when we went to vegas i knew how much i had, and didn't even think about money while i was there. especially because i did decent @ the tables. but there's no way i'd be going to vegas with like $80 for 4 days. what the heck am i going to do in vegas w/no $?

i also think that some of the trips we've taken in the past, you didn't know us that well so you didn't come. like to the beach when we camped over there. it's not all of it, but i imagine that some of it had to do with we were young in our friendship. now, if a group of us was going to the beach or a cabin, i'm pretty sure you're in.

but, i'd also like to point out that you have come with us on some trips. they may have been short ones, like day trips to the bay or weekends in bakos, but it's still a bit of travel.

baby steps. baby steps.

Adam said...

Therapy isn't a bad idea if you feel like that's something you can do. But it only works if whoever is doing it wants to.

I'll be sure to remember you next time we make a trip somewhere. Though, I skip all the Vegas trips.